[Gllug] Fake domain expiration notice

C. Cooke ccooke at gkhs.net
Mon Aug 2 22:40:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:58:10PM +0100, Andy McGarty wrote:
> >Believe it or not, I got a domain expiry notice through the post warning
> >that one of my names was due to expire in 30 days,
> >
> About two months ago I got just over 100 in one day (I host lots of
> domains!!).
>
> I was so dissapointed they weren't prepaid as I was going to send them all
> back.  It wasn't the Cambridge lot, not sure who it was but they went in
> the recycle box.
>
> And I've got about 10 so far from the Cambridge bunch.  All been recycled.
>
> I don't think its a new thing, I've had a few over the years.  Just a
> chancer hoping you are a company accounts deptartment without any IT
> assistance who just pay it?

The last two weeks, we received a stack of fraudulent domain renewal
warnings about two metres high.

My boss owns many tens of thousands of domains (all, so far as I can
tell, related to the business or projects which are actually in
progress, which is *scary*).

We have photos of a stack about a foot high - the stuff that arrived
Friday.

I think they killed a tree *just* for us. I wonder if they can be
prosecuted for reckless squandering of natural resources?

--
Charles Cooke, Sysadmin
Say it with flowers, send a triffid.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk