[Gllug] DVD-RAM on Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 15:10:27 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice on my un-duff HDD.  Now a further question.
(You can tell I'm busy catching up on all those things I've meant to do
for ages.)

Some time ago I bought a DVD-RAM drive, thinking to use it to write
DVDs.  It worked fine for reading DVDs, but there didn't (then) seem to
be support for writing them.  Since then it's been sitting on a shelf.
However, in the interim, ISTR reading that you can use it as a simple
block device, like an ordinary HD, so today I slapped it into a box to
try out.

I can get so far - "fdisk /dev/hdc" allows me to partition the drive,
but when I try "mke2fs /dev/hdc1" I get a "no such device" error.
Trouble is, I can't find any documentation on how one is meant to drive
a DVD-RAM device.  All my web searches throw up are really ancient pages
telling you how to patch your 2.2.x kernel for DVD-RAM support.  I'm
running 2.4.26 (the machine is a fresh install of Sarge using the RC1
installer - I thought I'd do my bit at testing it).

Can anyone give any guidance on how one is meant to use a DVD-RAM
device, or point me at any relevant documentation?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk