[Gllug] Badblocks indicates disc is OK?...

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 15:00:13 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, John Winters wrote:

<snip>

I've got a 120GB maxtor in much the same state, died while I was imaging
the drive on a hot afternoon. Sadly I discovered that the warranty was out
on my drive despite being 4 months old (bought out warranty), won't be
buying hardrives at a computer fair again, not without checking the
warranty before parting with cash anyway.

I have a Maxtor error code from their software but it'n not going to do me
any good, I've never seen the trader again either. :-(

> You should run a smartctl selftest on the disk.
>
> smartclt -a /dev/whatever  to print out the information from the disk
>
> smartctl -X /dev/whatever to run an extended test

I was going to bin the disk but maybe I'll try this first.

btw has anyone else noticed that "regular" IDE drives don't last when left
on all the time? I've just bought a couple of Maxline 2 250GB drives to
replace the cooked 120GB, 3 year warranty (I checked) and a 1 million
hours mtbf!! Not much more expensive.

Andre
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk