[Gllug] very very cheap hosting

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Sat Aug 21 23:23:28 UTC 2004

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>>People seem to confuse it for a relational database.
>>

>It's a very useful little tool, IMO. If you need foreign keys and
>enforcement of referential integrity it's the wrong tool, admittedly.

Actually MySQL currently does all these things, which is neat.  Until
you discover skull-smackingly stupid design flaws like this:

http://sql-info.de/mysql/transaction-innodb-table.html#4_1

MySQL is emminently fixable and I'm especially looking forward to MySQL
5.0 where they plan to have advanced features such as views and stored
procedures.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/TODO_MySQL_5.0.html

Until then I'll be sticking to, and supporting, postgres despite how
"slow" it is.

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/