[Gllug] FUD? MS Small Business Server and Samba no-no

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 03:40:05 UTC 2004

At work we have MS Small Business Server. Please don't laugh, too much.

It used to do the print serving, but it kept screwing up so they used a
Linux box I'd set up, and that worked ok-ish only the printers often
complained of lack of memory (Adobe PS drivers) & oh yes, the server had
to be rebooted a couple of times...

This was blamed on the fact that SBS gets stroppy if there is another
file server on the network - ie the Linux machine. To the objection that
there was already another Windows machine serving files, it was claimed
that it was different if it was another Windows machine, SBS didn't mind
*that*.

It sounds like FUD to me. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the Linux
box did cause problems because it wasn't set up right, but I can't
believe that co-existence is categorically impossible - and if I can
make the case they won't have to spend lots more money.

thanks in advance,
Tom Weissmann

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk