[Gllug] XP Remote Desktop (was Sun hardware/firewall memory)

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Dec 21 12:48:43 UTC 2004

krdc is just a wrapper for rdesktop, aiui.  http://www.rdesktop.org/

> It is not multi user at the M$ end - nobody else can be logged in at the
> same time as you.

If the Windoes box is running full terminal services then it will be
multi-user.  rdesktop also has a -0 option which connects you to the
console login session (if the remote server is running Win2003 or later)
and I suspect this is what you are actually running.

> There is also remote assistance which I haven't tried but I think gives
> a remote user shared access to the same desktop as the curent user.

Remote assistance is just RDC where the person requesting assistance
creates an authorisation key and sends it to the person they want help
from.  The remote user then uses that key for authentication but it's
just an RDC connection to the console login.  AFAIK, rdesktop (and thus
krdc) cannot use this key.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.