[Gllug] XP Remote Desktop (was Sun hardware/firewall memory)

Sean Burlington seanb at london.ramblers.org.uk
Tue Dec 21 12:19:58 UTC 2004

Rob Crowther wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
>> Remote Desktop is just terminal services with fancier packaging.
>> However, does XP Pro genuinely allow multiple remote logins or does it
>> just allow a remote user to view or take over the console-user's
>> existing session?  I'd wager it's the latter, with full terminal
>> services only available on the server version.
>

> I think it's more designed for 'remote support' than 'remote logon'. You
> can now share your desktop through MSN Messenger, which is all built on
> top of the remote desktop stuff, so there must be at least some parts of
> the server built into XP.  XP does allow multiple users to be logged in
> at the same time, ie. you can choose to 'switch user' rather than log
> out and your running programs and desktop context are maintained in
> memory, no idea how that works with Remote Desktop though.  AFAIK there
> is no seperate cost for Terminal Server on Windows now (there used to be
> a Windows NT Terminal Services Edition), you get the server as part of
> 2003 and the CALS as part of XP.
>
> Rob

I've dicovered that I can access M$ machines using KDEs 'Remote Desktop
Connection' -  krdc

It is not multi user at the M$ end - nobody else can be logged in at the
same time as you.

The display is also a bit poor - low colour and text problems on the
Sfarf buffon, and ofher !nferesfing effects ! - I suspect this is an
interoperability issue.

There is also remote assistance which I haven't tried but I think gives
a remote user shared access to the same desktop as the curent user.

What's nice is that krdc works OK via SSH on an ADSL connection.

I can check web pages in Outlook and access password protected M$ files
without getting up and going to another desk :)

--

Sean Burlington
Website/Database Developer

please include the web address of any web page you wish to discuss

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk