[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Dec 13 17:08:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:20:35AM +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:39:14 +0000
> "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
>
> > Richard Turner wrote:
> >
> > That's not to say there hasn't been the odd bit of breakage, there has,
> > but stuff gets fixed quickly and you know enough dpkg fu to deal with
> > awkward situations, right? :)
> >

> speaking of dpkg, is there a good tutorial somewhere? I've found plenty for
> apt but none for dpkg.

I don't know about a tutorial, but these are most of the commands
you'll ever need, for apt and dpkg usage:

  apt-get update
    - synch package lists with package repository

  apt-get install <packagename-or-regexp>
    - install a named package + dependencies

  apt-get dist-upgrade
    - upgrade to the latest release

  apt-cache search <querystring>
    - not-very-clever search for packages

  apt-cache show <packagename>
    - show the details of a particular package

  dpkg -l <packagename-or-wildcard>
    - show installation status of a particular package or packages

  dpkg -i <.debfile>
    - install a package by hand; obviously apt-get install is preferable

  dpkg -L <packagename>
    - list the files installed by a package

  dpkg -S <filename>
    - find out which package claims to own the named file

  dpkg -c <.debfile>
    - list out the contents of a particular .deb file

You should also have a look at the configuration file,
/etc/apt/sources.list, which controls where you get your packages
from.

If you were looking for something a bit more advanced than that
(eg. how to create a debian package), then ask again on list and I can
post some skeletal info on that too.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones.  http://www.annexia.org/  http://www.j-london.com/