[Gllug] Recommended distro

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Dec 13 19:42:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Tethys stipulated:

> Nix writes:
>
>>sparclet -> f930, f934, sparclite86x (all weird clone chips I think)
>>sparclite -> tsc701 (another weird clone chip)
>
> There's no such thing as a clone chip in the SPARC world.

I was being excessively terse.

`Another weird chip that very few people will ever have seen' :)

> IIRC, Sun were slow to implement SPARC v9, and others (Fujitsu, I think)

It was Fujitsu: Sun actually have a couple of slight non-spec-compliances
that Fujitsu have fixed, even now, so Fujitsu are more SPARCly than Sun :)

> got there first. It's a common mistake to think that SPARC == Sun, but it's
> not actually true.

They're just the spec owners (nearly; how independent *is* SPARC
International anyway?) and the inventors and the largest sellers.

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk