[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 20:57:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 20:46 +0000, Tethys wrote:
> Richard Turner writes:
>
> >Oh, there's no doubt about it, yum is slow and doesn't do anything very
> >sophisticated.
>
> It seems quick enough for me. But then again, since I have multiple
> machines, I maintain a local mirror and point yum at that. This tends
> to suggest that yum is perhaps inefficient in terms of the number of
> round trips it needs, which would tend to manifest itself more on
> slow links, rather than being inherently slow itself.

Yeah, it's grabbing packages and headers from the Net that takes the
most time; although, when installing a large number of packages, I've
seen it take several minutes calculating dependencies (on an Athlon XP
2100 w/ 512Mb).  Of course, that's not something one does very often and
for day-to-day updates it's fine.

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E