[Gllug] OT: recommend place to buy 17" tft monitor

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Dec 14 21:05:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Chris Bell stipulated:
>> But it was only a guess --- and anyway, it got replaced with no
>> difficulty.
>>
>    That just sounds like a degauss circuit fault. It is usually a simple
> brute force circuit with temperature dependant resistors to deliberately
> allow a short pulse of mains to the coil round the edge of the screen, and
> at the same time slowly increase mains volts to the rest of the power
> supply.

So it was as if I was constantly degaussing?

Note that the colour bands were *linear*; does the degauss circuit run along
the top and bottom of the screen or something?

(I suspected the shadow mask because of the bands of greyness running
across the screen at *exactly* the places where the shadow mask mounting
wire things normally run.)

>    At one time a normal requirement at work was that you should be able
> stand on anything, and stack gear in a lorry up to about shoulder high, but
> then someone decided that it was cheaper to buy more off-the-shelf
> "domestic" kit and replace the bits that fell off.

Alas, it's often the consumers who have to do the paying :(

>                                                    I have seen monitors
> dropped without damage to the tube while the case is shattered,

*BOGGLE* Who'd have guessed that a glass tube was stronger than plastic?

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk