[Gllug] Recommended distro

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Dec 13 16:46:43 UTC 2004

Nix writes:

>sparclet -> f930, f934, sparclite86x (all weird clone chips I think)
>sparclite -> tsc701 (another weird clone chip)

There's no such thing as a clone chip in the SPARC world. SPARC is merely
a set of specifications for chips which people are free to implement (with
a suitable licensing agreement). There are several companies making SPARC
chips, including Sun, Fujitsu and TI. It's not like the x86 world, where
they're very definitely Intel's designs, and the others are clones. In fact,
IIRC, Sun were slow to implement SPARC v9, and others (Fujitsu, I think)
got there first. It's a common mistake to think that SPARC == Sun, but it's
not actually true.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk