[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Dec 9 13:38:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Daniel P. Berrange yowled:
> Just ran it again and it shows 20% of all execution time spent inside
> libXft.so (don't have the -debuginfo RPMs handy so couldn;t get the
> exact symbol names this time). Next biggest sample is g_tree_node_lookup
> in glib.so accounting for 10% of samples. Then it there are a few at
> 3-5% in memcpy, memset, etc and a couple of symbols in libvte.

Owch. libXft isn't even doing that much: I'd expect libfreetype to be
more costly.

Time for some optimization work methinks.

> Comparing to xterm, the 51% of time is in memmove. No hits for font
> rendering functions, either in the xterm (& its libs), or the Xserver
> itself.

(You need to start xterm with -fa 'SomeFontName' or parameters to that
effect to get it to actually *use* libXft, of course.)

> The server hits are again is all in low level graphics functions
> bitblt-type stuff.

Unsurprising: that's basically all it does with GlyphSets. :)

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk