[Gllug] Please Help with Samba

wendy carr wendy_carr2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 12:53:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am having an issue browsing my work group. We have
10 win XP's 3 mandrake 10.1 desktops and 1 file/mail
server on Fedora core 3.

smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(570)
Can't become connected user!

Now all users can use \\server from windows and access
them all, so all users and passwords are correct.
But when i tried to list the work group by browsing my
network place windows gives the error "Workgroup is
not accessible, you might not have permission to use
the network resource".

>From mandrake boxes i cant browse the workgroup since
smb4k keep asking for username and password for the
server which i am sure are correct.

The server is running Fedora Core 3 and samba version
: 3.0.8

The best bits of my smb.conf is below, which i
configured using webmin.The setup was working fine
until i got these issues suddenly.

 thanks for any help.
wendy

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	load printers = yes
	idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
	null passwords = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	winbind use default domain = no
	template shell = /bin/false
	dns proxy = no
	cups options = raw
	netbios name = AmsysServer
	writeable = yes
	server string = AmsysServer
	idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
	path = /home/ServerFiles
	workgroup = workgroup
	os level = 20
	comment = ServerFiles
	valid users =
denise,elaine,geoff,julie,keith,pippa,wasantha, at staff
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	create mode = 775
	security = user
	max log size = 50
	directory mode = 775

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to
print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   print