[Gllug] Server setup

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Mon Dec 13 17:54:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 11:09 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 13 Dec, Jan Kokoska wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:34 +0000, George Wright wrote:
> >
> > > How does one go about setting up a RAID-1 mirroring array between the 2 80GB
> > > IDE drives? Do I install as normal on one drive then set up the RAID or do I
> > > need to do it when I actually install?
> >
> > Anytime, doesn't matter. Create identical partitions on both disks (I
> > set 500 MB swap first,
>
>    Beware that you may need to put either a small "/boot" or "/" first
> before /swap

Why?

I am talking about a hardware made in this century, to be clear. I don't
care about former BIOS or bootloader limitations.

By a very odd chance I happened to overwrite the beginning of my drive
once (and in another case had to recover a machine where this somehow
happened, too). In the first case I was relieved to find only swap gone.
Reconstructing partition table was a breeze, filesystem would be much
much worse (my colleague mined some data from the other one, using
alternative superblocks... I still don't know how to do that in
practise).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk