[Gllug] Server setup

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Sun Dec 12 23:34:03 UTC 2004

I'm just about to put a new server together (an Athlon XP 2400+, 2x80GB IDE
etc) and I've decided to put Debian (Sarge) on it as it's much easier to do
remote administration etc with apt-get than anything else. However, a few
questions remain about the setup:

How does one go about setting up a RAID-1 mirroring array between the 2 80GB
IDE drives? Do I install as normal on one drive then set up the RAID or do I
need to do it when I actually install?

Another thing is I'd like to be able to hook the machine up to a phone line so
I can use it as a dial in server so that if I'm totally internet-less I can
always phone in using my mobile and bluetooth and gain access that way...
What would be the best way to set this up? Will it render the phone line
useless for incoming voice calls or faxes?

Also, I'd want to use the server as some sort of network storage device for
backup of important data as it'll be the only machine with redundancy. Would
NFS be best or are there other better solutions out there that I could use?

Many thanks,
--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org