[Gllug] Server setup

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Dec 13 08:11:01 UTC 2004

George Wright wrote:

>How does one go about setting up a RAID-1 mirroring array between the 2 80GB
>IDE drives? Do I install as normal on one drive then set up the RAID or do I
>need to do it when I actually install?

The disk partitioning tool will allow you to do this during the install
process.  I'm not sure I'd recommened booting from software RAID,
though, it could make recovery a little tricky.

>What would be the best way to set this up? Will it render the phone line
>useless for incoming voice calls or faxes?

pppd will give you a dial-in server. All voice calls will be picked up
by the modem.  I seem to recall that there's some magic way of
distinguishing an incoming fax call.

>Also, I'd want to use the server as some sort of network storage device for
>backup of important data as it'll be the only machine with redundancy. Would
>NFS be best or are there other better solutions out there that I could use?

The old maxim of "if you can't take it with you, it's not a backup"
applies.  However you could share a chunk of the disk via several
protocols all at the same time and let the clients machines use
whichever is most comfortable.

Regards

Mart.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk