[Gllug] 802.11b/g cards

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Thu Dec 9 16:02:51 UTC 2004

Huw Lynes wrote:
> This
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html#acx100
> suggests that ALL the current 802.11b/g cards use the same chipset, and that
> it works with linux.
>
> Have I got that right? Can I reasonable expect to buy any b/g card and get it
> to work?

I don't think so, but I am no expert.  When I was looking for 802.11g
cards previously, I found a whole number with various chipsets some of
which weren't supported.  The Broadcom one is, but using ndiswrapper
which I didn't like the sound of.

I can however confirm that the madwifi drivers:

     http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

work fine with the netgear Atheros based cards like the WG511T, and that
these perform very well indeed.  Although the drivers come straight from
CVS it builds and runs easily, even on my 64-bit system.

there's a closed source bit to the driver though, which is most annoying.

doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk