[Gllug] Backward typing mode in Evolution - intentional?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Dec 13 09:43:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 09:31:07AM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 09:20 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> > I just experienced something very odd in Evolution.  I was replying to
> > message and deleted a large chunk of the original before I started
> > typing.
> >  Then, when I positioned the cursor where I wanted it and started
> > typing,
> > all my new text was appearing backwards!  That is, the cursor stayed
> > where
> > it was and the new text flowed off to the right.  If I typed "Hello",
> > what
> > was displayed was "olleH".
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature?  If the latter, what sequence of
> > keypresses
>
> Just to confirm you are not going mad that happened to me a while ago...
> no idea what caused it :)

Presumably it's something to do with right-to-left languages (Arabic,
Hebrew).

If you are using any Gtk2 application, then go to an input/editing
area, right click, select "Insert Unicode control character" and play
with the options in that menu.  I was able to reproduce the effect
above by inserting a "RLO right-to-left override" character and then
moving the cursor around and typing.  You may have somehow managed to
invoke this action using a keyboard shortcut.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones.  http://www.annexia.org/  http://www.j-london.com/
http://execellence.co.uk/ - Interim and executive recruitment