[Gllug] Ubuntu LiveCD persistent home

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 07:47:36 UTC 2004

On Sat 11 Dec, James Goldwater wrote:

> A friend of mine 300 miles away at university was 'accidentally surfing
> porn' using IE and has a nasty infection as a result.  I've tried
> talking her through cleaning her computer but it seems pretty incurable
> without physical access... therefore, a linux-advocacy idea has popped
> into mind...
>
> Ubuntu seems to do everything she would need, and is piss-easy to use.
> A Live CD would be perfect, if I could get a persistent home on a USB
> pendrive working.
>
> I've never done this before: I've tried adding home=/dev/sda1 and
> home=/mnt/sda1 to the boot options: neither works.  Is there some magic
> incantation I can use?  Ubuntu live-cd seems to be a derivative of
> morphix, and there's mention of a morphix.img loopback home directory in
> the grub menus, but I am, to tell the truth, rather confused.
>
> Any ideas/completely obvious google queries I could have tried/howtos?
>
> Cheers
>
> James

   I think I heard something about Ubunto being part of a continuous
development chain via Gnoppix and backed by a South African organisation.
The installer is based on an earlier development version of the new Debian
installer but for a very restricted range of architectures, and some of the
developers are working on both Debian and Ubunto. The latest version of the
new Debian installer for Sarge (still officially in testing, not the old
stable Woody version)) should also be easy to use, and documentation on the
new Debian installer may give pointers for both systems.
   Debian can be installed on an i86 using a minimum of three floppies, or
the businesscard image which downloads the correct kernel for your box, or
the larger network installer image which contains a "vanilla" kernel only,
all of which rely on downloading most of the system via the internet, so you
need a fast connection, possibly available at the Uni. The larger iso-images
are around 34 and 123 MB, and designed for either CD or pendrive. Release
candidate 2 could be the first official release for Sarge. You then have all
the advantages of easy and timely upgrades from Debian, and the choice from
a huge list of packages.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk