[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 18:56:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:39 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Richard Turner wrote:
>
> > So if I want to run Evolution 2.x, as I do at the moment (with security
> >
> >patches) I must use 'unstable'.  That's fine, because it's only my home
> >system, but what happens when somebody finds a security flaw in it?
> >
> I've routinely run unstable on production systems for over 6 years.
> Debian "unstable" tends to be more stable than most "stable" distros.
>
> That's not to say there hasn't been the odd bit of breakage, there has,
> but stuff gets fixed quickly and you know enough dpkg fu to deal with
> awkward situations, right? :)

Well, no, not at the moment: I'm an RPM user at the present :)  So
'unstable' is as stable as the other bleeding-edge distros but without
patches that have gone through Debian's much vaunted security team,
correct?  This means that when a bug or security flaw is found the
solution is a package upgrade, and that's practically never going to be
a problem unless one relies on APIs in a custom application that have
changed.

So, my fears about using Debian are assuaged, but I'll be using
'unstable' on a single x86 - why is that better than using, e.g. FC3?
People here have successfully convinced me that the installer is now
good and that the age of the packages in Woody isn't a problem because
Sarge is safe, but if I don't take advantage of the Debian Security Team
what advantages over other distros would I be taking advantage of?

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E