[Gllug] Recommended distro

Jan Kokoska kokoskaj at seznam.cz
Sun Dec 12 18:41:12 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:18 +0000, Richard Turner wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:09 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Sun 12 Dec, Richard Turner wrote:
> >

> > > I don't really understand the security update situation with 'testing'
> > > and 'unstable' - could someone point me in the direction of a good
> > > explanation of why I can (pretty-much) expect testing not to screw-up my
> > > system?
> > >
> >    There is a dedicated security team working on Debian "stable" with the
> > sole purpose of sorting bugs. See Debian -- Debian Releases
> >
> > http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/
>
> So if I want to run Evolution 2.x, as I do at the moment (with security
> patches) I must use 'unstable'.  That's fine, because it's only my home
> system, but what happens when somebody finds a security flaw in it?  An
> upgrade to the latest version available with the hole fixed but untested
> system-wide repercussions?  Don't take that as a criticism - if that's
> the way it's done then that's the way it's done - I'm just seeking
> clarification.

I use the same (see my e-mail headers) and run frequently updated
unstable, too. As it is indeed my portable workstation system, I am not
fussed about features changing along with security-related bug fixes.
The whole problem only applies to servers *with custom applications
running* that you would rather not break by silly API change is some
lesser programming languege (think PHP), only to fix a serious security
flaw (PHP is again a prime example).

Jan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk