[Gllug] Sun hardware/firewall memory

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 10:19:20 UTC 2004

On Thu 20 Jan, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

> Generally speaking, Sun boxes had three things going for them.  1) They
> were Workstation class or server class machines which mean they were
> generally built better than their PC counterparts and 2) they had better
> throughput than similar x86 machines and were thus better at being
> servers and of course 3) Solaris is better than windows.  Much of this
> has changed, but some has not, specifically, the better build though
> their throughput is still very good for what they are.
>
> Andrew Farnsworth

   I have not played with a Sun, but I had early Acorn RISC computers which
were considered to be slow because of their clock speed, but fast because of
the design of their RISC processor which resulted in very compact code. They
were very expensive, but I still have an Acorn A410, an A540, and a RISC PC
in continuous daily use.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk