[Gllug] Address range on D-link 300G+ modem

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 08:30:45 UTC 2004

On Wed 08 Dec, Peter Ball wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2004 at 16:49, Henrik Morsing wrote:
>

> > > Basically you switch of NAT and set the outside and the
> > > inside address of the router to
> > > be the same address then on the Lan side (with your
> > > addresses) you set:
> > >
> > > IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.233
> > > Netmask:   255.255.255.252
> >
> > Well, the router negotiates .233 on the ADSL interface so you're
> > saying I should manually set the same address on the LAN interface?
> > What about routing tables on the router?
>
> Yes that confused me when I was first told but it certainly works on the Netgear route
> rs -
> in any case the router knows which interface is which. I don't know if it always/usual
> ly
> works or if its limited to Netgear.
>
> I've seen talk of a similar trick where you use a cross over cable between two routers
>
> and both ends of the cable have the same ip address.

   If you use the Linux ethernet bridge facility the IP address is allocated
to the bridge regardless of the number of ethernet cards specified as part
of the bridge, each of which is set to promiscuous mode. It is designed to
work as an invisible bridge, with packet filtering firewall rules added
specifying interfaces as eth0, eth1, etc. INPUT access to the box itself can
be restricted by these rules. Other ethernet cards can be used independantly
or as parts of other bridges.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk