[Gllug] Recommended distro

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sun Dec 12 15:59:50 UTC 2004

1 vote for debian.

Nelson Menezes wrote:

>So, to sum it up, I was thinking maybe Debian or Gentoo.
>I've never tried either and the respective websites both
>say "this is the best distro on all universes", so I
>thought I'd get your opinions. Do both distros usually
>build from source?

If you like, but that's almost completely pointless. Why spend hours
compiling something that will spend 99.95% percent of its runtime
waiting for user input?  There are certain specific programs that
genuinely do benefit from being compiled for the host
kernel/libs/architecture.  You most likely don't use them.

Regards

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk