[Gllug] Recommended distro

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sun Dec 12 16:11:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 15:59 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> 1 vote for debian.

2.

I just went through the Sarge install and it is very swish, when not in
expert mode I had very few questions and one short download ltaer I'm at
my desktop.

Well not quite, but the installer *is* very good, especially compared to
the arcane boot-floppies in Woody and before, and once it's running it
won't let you down.

> If you like, but that's almost completely pointless. Why spend hours
> compiling something that will spend 99.95% percent of its runtime
> waiting for user input?  There are certain specific programs that
> genuinely do benefit from being compiled for the host
> kernel/libs/architecture.  You most likely don't use them.

I once found a joke (can't remember url) which was a package to scroll
the build logs and spin the hdd to simulate that authentic built-at-home
feel on your Debian box.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely