[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 09:45:54 UTC 2004

On Fri 17 Dec, john gennard wrote:

> Does anyone know if a colour cartridge can be loaded
> with black ink?
>
> I have an Epson Photo 810 (which needs both a colour
> and a black cartridge to work) and no longer use it
> for colour printing. Although I set the default to
> 'black' (for all text work), the colour cartridge
> gradually empties. If I fill all chambers of an old
> colour cartridge, with black ink would the printer
> 'fail to notice'?
>
> Can't find anyone on google who has tried this.
>
> John.

   As far as I know there is no sensing for the real colour of the ink,
although I have heard that some cartridges have an embedded chip which
registers usage and not the amount of ink remaining. You may also find that
there is both a "black" which combines colours to make a black, and a
"registration black" which uses only the real black ink, selectable in the
printer setup.
   I have a printer which has four separate ink cartridges, but each
cartridge is mechanically coded to only go in the appropriate colour slot.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk