[Gllug] OT: Printer Cartridges

Mailroom1 mailroom at ego-computers.ltd.uk
Fri Dec 17 09:54:12 UTC 2004

Morning,

The colour cartridge *will* gradually empty because every time the printer
is powered on it "cleans" the cartridge by expelling ink from the nozzles
into a special ink pad reservoir.  You cannot stop this.  On the same vein
Epson printers have an inbuilt "lifetime" counter that eventually will stop
the printer working (I think it counts the number of cartridge changes).
There is a software "kit" that is available to reset the counter. If anyone
would like more info contact me off list.  BTW, when this happens the
reservoir ink pad is full of ink and has to be cleaned before resetting the
printer, a particularly filthy job because Epson do not (AFAIAA) offer it as
a spare part.  For most people it is almost as cheap to go and buy a new
printer (complete with new cartridges) as it is to buy the kit (and still
have to clean the reservoir pad).

Roy Drinkwater
EgO Computers Ltd
rdrinkwater at ego-computers.ltd.uk