[Gllug] Recommended distro

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 17:21:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 15:59 +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> 1 vote for debian.

Now I know this is always a volatile subject, but I ask out of
curiosity, not in an attempt to incite another flame war: being an x86
modern desktop user - preferring to use up-to-date versions of Gnome,
Abiword, Gnumeric, Evolution etc. because they're becoming better all
the time - what does Debian offer me that I don't have with RH, FC,
SuSe, Mandrake, et al. and a good text editor for editing config files
(I'll leave the argument about vi v. emacs alone I think!)?

I've already chosen my favourite apps, so the huge variety offered by
Debian doesn't really matter to me.  I only use one x86 machine -
nothing fancy - so cross-platform support is of no interest to me.  Apt
may be much better than yum (I don't know) but yum works fine for me and
I could always install apt4rpm if I wanted to.

I don't really understand the security update situation with 'testing'
and 'unstable' - could someone point me in the direction of a good
explanation of why I can (pretty-much) expect testing not to screw-up my
system?

Everyone says such marvellous things about Debian, and I'm technically
savvy enough to cope with using it, so I sometimes feel that I should
start using that instead of FC3; however, for my home workstation, I've
yet to see a concrete, objective argument why I should.

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E