[Gllug] debian alsa and mythtv

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Wed Dec 22 16:40:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 14:55 +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I've been having trouble with Alsa recently.
>
> I use mythtv which requires that I select mic as the recording input -
> and mute the mic.
>
> Each time I reboot I have to reset this manually.

Um reboot?

> I've made the mistake of changing two things at once and now I'm a bit
> stuck.
>
> I have upgraded alsa using aptitude as part of a routine upgrade.

I take it this means you're using a 2.4 kernel?

> Then I tried to see if I could permanently set the alsamixer settings
> and ran alsaconf thinking this might be the way to do it - but abandoned

alsaconf just sets up the sound card initially iirc.

dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base (I think) gives you a list of choices for
saving and restoring mixer settings.

> this and rebooted again to try and keep my setting the way they were.
> (this was the mistake - I should have left this till after I made sure
> the upgrade had gone OK)

/etc/init.d/alsa  restart is *much* faster than rebooting.

> Now the 'capture' input has dissapeared in alsamixer and mythtv has no
> sound :(

Dunno about this. My sound has always Just Worked. Though it seems odd
that  a  mixer element should simply disappear like  this.

The only thing I can think of is to double  check where your  wires go
and play with all  the mixer settings.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely