[Gllug] FTP problem

adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 13:39:58 UTC 2004

I suspect this is some sort of misconfiguration in my iptables setup, but I cannot see where.

I eventually installed Aurora Linux 1.0 (a RH 7.3 clone) on my Sun SS20. I want to upgrade it and so installed yum.

I set yum to point to an ftp based repository and run yum update - and I get an FTP 500 Illegal Port error.

Wget allows me to "login" with anon ftp to that server but I cannot download - again port error.

Googling suggests this means I need to use passive ftp - but I cannot see why the Sun box is any different from any of the other boxes on the same network, which can connect to, and download from, that ftp site.

The SS20 does not have iptables or anything else - there is one bastion-type firewall.

Any clues?

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk