[Gllug] backup

Julian Parker jpar at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 18:31:04 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I have a small PC running FC2, I had previously done backups to DLT35/70
but for some reason it now craps out with SCSI errors, this did not
happen on RH 8.0 or on FC1. To get round this I purchased one of these;
http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/Products.aspx?productId=HDD160GBNetwork

For use in Windows, the drive is really good. In Linux I can map the
drive and back up partitions but I'm after alternatives for backup tools.

Currently when I backup the Linux partitions I get various degrees of
success;

If I use "cd /data; find . | cpio -puvdm /backup/data" the backup runs
but takes *ages* but does complete.
If I use "dump 0b 64 -f - /data | (cd /backup/data; restore rf -)" the
backup runs realy quick but errors because the file list is too long
I've not tried tar yet

Worth noting is that the file system format on the network hard drive is
FAT32 so I believe I'm limited to 4GB files which restricts just
creating a large single archive file to the drive.

Can anyone offer some alternatives.

Cheers

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk