[Gllug] Ubuntu LiveCD persistent home

James Goldwater james at eccehomo.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 00:37:49 UTC 2004

A friend of mine 300 miles away at university was 'accidentally surfing
porn' using IE and has a nasty infection as a result.  I've tried
talking her through cleaning her computer but it seems pretty incurable
without physical access... therefore, a linux-advocacy idea has popped
into mind...

Ubuntu seems to do everything she would need, and is piss-easy to use.
A Live CD would be perfect, if I could get a persistent home on a USB
pendrive working.

I've never done this before: I've tried adding home=/dev/sda1 and
home=/mnt/sda1 to the boot options: neither works.  Is there some magic
incantation I can use?  Ubuntu live-cd seems to be a derivative of
morphix, and there's mention of a morphix.img loopback home directory in
the grub menus, but I am, to tell the truth, rather confused.

Any ideas/completely obvious google queries I could have tried/howtos?

Cheers

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk