[Gllug] Ubuntu LiveCD persistent home

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 11 09:49:07 UTC 2004

On 11 Dec 2004, at 00:37, James Goldwater wrote:

> A friend of mine 300 miles away at university was 'accidentally
> surfing porn' using IE and has a nasty infection as a result.  I've
> tried talking her through cleaning her computer but it seems pretty
> incurable without physical access... therefore, a linux-advocacy idea
> has popped into mind...
>
> Ubuntu seems to do everything she would need, and is piss-easy to use.
>  A Live CD would be perfect, if I could get a persistent home on a USB
> pendrive working.
> I've never done this before: I've tried adding home=/dev/sda1 and
> home=/mnt/sda1 to the boot options: neither works.  Is there some
> magic incantation I can use?  Ubuntu live-cd seems to be a derivative
> of morphix, and there's mention of a morphix.img loopback home
> directory in the grub menus, but I am, to tell the truth, rather
> confused.
>
> Any ideas/completely obvious google queries I could have tried/howtos?

To be blunt - and I am very pro ubuntu - the live cd isn't as good as
Knoppix by a long way. For knoppix with Persistent Home see:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo

As far as I know, there is no persistent home script on the Ubuntu live
cd - but I rarely use it and don't really follow the discussions about
it.

There is a FAQ for Morphix PH - Ubuntu is based on Morphix - at:
http://www.morphix.org/modules/xoopsfaq/index.php?cat_id=7#q67

Otherwise, I suggest asking on the ubuntu-users list - or, if you want,
I can forward your email and you can watch the replies on gmane:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user

Or you can go through the unofficial forums mail list interface:
  http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Regards

John

www.ubuntulinux.org