[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Sun Dec 5 13:33:44 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 13:08, George Wright wrote:
> On Sunday 05 December 2004 13:13, Ashley Evans wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 December 2004 10:10, Nix wrote:
> > > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Ashley Evans stated:
> > > And the transparency in the KDE menus doesn't update as the occluded
> > > window changes.
> > >
> > > Bah. Half-hearted job.
> >
> > Agreed. But, given the state a certain other thread it may be wise not to
> > do too much KDE bashing right now :)
> >
> > I guess it's that time of the month.
>
> As stated previously this is a limitation of X and not of KDE. Wait for the
> COMPOSITE X extension to become more stable and use that instead.

I'm actually a KDE fan and have been a user since somewhere in v1.  I was
simply agreeing that (for a perfectly valid reason) the transparency in
Konsole isn't particularly good.

Given Konsole's short comings I'd long suspected it was a "problem" with X
itself.  Presumeably this is some kind of efficiency thing for keeping X
traffic down? Kind of like Z-buffering in the 3d graphics world.

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk