[Gllug] Transparent Terminal

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Dec 5 23:48:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Ashley Evans stated:
> Given Konsole's short comings I'd long suspected it was a "problem" with X
> itself.  Presumeably this is some kind of efficiency thing for keeping X
> traffic down? Kind of like Z-buffering in the 3d graphics world.

Nah, it's just that the X core protocol was never designed with
transparency in mind and needs a good few extensions. It's easy to find
out what's on the root window underneath you, so that's what these apps
are doing: but finding out what's on all windows including occluded ones
and updating it in realtime is impractical without X server support
which isn't there.

--- well, it *is* there in X.org 6.8.x; the Composite extension. Alas,
the page about it on freedesktop.org hasn't been reconstructed yet (they
were broken into last month and switched wikis).

--
`The sword we forged has turned upon us
 Only now, at the end of all things do we see
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk