[Gllug] Recommended distro

mimo mimo at restoel.net
Tue Dec 14 00:52:35 UTC 2004

Richard Turner wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 10:17 +0000, Huw Lynes wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:11:46 +0000
>>Richard Turner <richard at zygous.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>So, even given that I'm not a base-level desktop user, I'm still not
>>>sure what Debian would provide for me that other distros won't.  The one
>>>thing I can think of is that I could install it, spend ages making sure
>>>that services like netfilter, ntp, etc. are configured OK (the kind of
>>>thing that SuSe or FC installers do for you) and then not have to bother
>>>ever again because I could do 'apt-get dist upgrade' instead of having
>>>to reinstall when a new release comes along.  This might be enough for
>>>me, so I may try Debian, but it's not a convincing enough argument for
>>>me to be totally swayed.
>>>

>>On RH/FC
>>
>>yum -y update
>>
>>is your friend.
>>

>Oh yeah, I know, but I'm not quite brave enough to trust a dist upgrade
>to yum, or indeed apt4rpm.  I've seen a HOWTO somewhere on reconfiguring
>one's yum.conf file in FC2 to point to FC3 repos and then using yum to
>dist upgrade, but I didn't fancy it.

I have tried yum on our _old_ RedHat machines too -- not the same. On
debian I can use aptitude to go through different upgrade scenarios
before I do them... This means that on a well configure debian system
you can look at different versions of packages and find a combination
that doesnt break dependencies. Also in terms of how quick you can do
this yum was disapointing (probably my mistake) and looking for
documentation for yum is quite adventorous...

my 2p
mimo