[Gllug] Server setup

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 14 01:10:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 23:05 +0000, Jan Kokoska wrote:

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.3

That really just repeats the points I made in my earlier post...

> Because on the above-outlined barricade I stand on the "don't do it"
> side ;)

The HOWTO just says don't put swap on md for *performance* reasons, and
suggests you might want to do it for availability.

> The above document even has a logical error in "Another reason to use
> RAID..." while the above paragraph said why one would NOT use it.

The above paragraph said you would not use it for *performance*. So, if
you're using RAID 0, then absolutely don't use it - 1 disk failure takes
you out anyway, so you may as well use the in kernel striped swap. For
redundancy and resilience though, you absolutely should put swap on an
md device - I don't think there's really any discussion about this, you
can't have a redundant system without it.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk