[Gllug] Re: backups

Julian Parker jpar at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 22:40:43 UTC 2004

t.clarke wrote:

> Re backups to the network drive:
>
> Have you considered "tar'ing" your files to the raw backup-disc device
> name, in a similar manner to tar'ing to a raw floppy ??
>
> This method certainly works with Unix, and so should I think work with linux

What would the raw backup-disc device be? The drive gets presented as a network share;
	# df -m .
	//iomega/NetHDD           154584     22148    132436  15% /shared/backup

The file system format is FAT32 and it limits me to 4GB file size, I suppose I could tar to a temporary drive and "split" the file into chunks but I will still likely get poor performance writing the file over the network.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk