[Gllug] Re: backups

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 11:09:42 UTC 2004

re: /iomega/netHDD

sorry; looks like I went off half-cocked - didn't appreciate your backup
device was mounted over a network.
looks like you are stuck with writing to the mounted filesystem in one
way or another, unless someone else has any suggesting about getting directly
at the underlying device.

As you suggest, one possibility is to use 'split' to divide the output file
into chunks.  My (unix) man page reckons documents the -b nm option, so I guess
you could do something like:-

tar cvf - . | split -b 4000m - /shared/backup/xyz.tar

If I have got the syntax write this would do a tar, pipe it through split
into 4Gb chunks and write the chunks to files xyz.taraa xyz.tarab etc on
filesystem /shared/backup.

I havn't checked, but I assume there is a counterpart command to split to
combine the chunks, or failing that:
cd wherever
cat /shared/backup/xyz.tar* | tar xvf -

Tim