[Gllug] re: ECC chipsets

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 14:53:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 02:20:55PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Seems we must be using the wrong motherboards !
>
> They are all AMD Athlon mobo's using, amongst others, VIA chipsets
> (eg KT400/VT8235)
>
> The mobo manuals definitely state non-ECC DDR memory

Ok, apparently I am wrong. After reading a bit more none of the Via
Athlon chipsets support ECC. I was going from information on this
site

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/k7-series/comparison_k7-series.jsp

I guess that the w/ECC means "without" which is a bit misleading :(
It also appears that my motherboard manual is lying in the bit where it
says "supports" ECC, or perhaps the RAM works but doesn't do ECC.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk