[Gllug] Sound fine under 2.4.26 but nothing under 2.6.8

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 17:43:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 15:58, Huw Lynes wrote:
[snip]
> looks like it's now using alsa with the the oss backwards compatibility. Try
> un-muting the sound devices using alsamix. That's usually the problem with
> newly-installed alsa systems.

Looking good.  At least you've enabled me to get sound on a box
(Mini-ITX board) which has previously resisted months of concerted
efforts to achieve sound.  Why isn't this sort of thing documented
anywhere?  I've had a look at the ALSA sound site and the beginners'
documentation on how to get it to work really is utterly, utterly
dreadful.  A Microsoft-esque attitude seems to have taken over the whole
world of Linux sound - "It'll work straight out of the box.  If it
doesn't, tough."

I still can't get xmms or real player to work on this box - both freeze
up when they try to make sound - but it is no longer totally silent, so
that's a start.  (Incidentally, this isn't the box I first asked about.
That one's at work and I will try the alsamixer fix there tomorrow.  I'm
now at home and using a completely different box which until today has
been utterly mute.)

> You might have to apt-get alsa or alsa-utils but I can't believe debian let
> you install an alsa enabled kernel without the relevant utils to go with it.

They do.  Not even a hint that you might want to install them.

Thanks for your help.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk