[Gllug] [OT] Unlocking Mobile Phone

Wiehe, Simon simon.wiehe at csfb.com
Fri Dec 10 10:07:33 UTC 2004

> Yes, but the basis for this is that you haven't paid for the phone, they
> have. When you've been on contract for a year, they've recouped the cost
> of providing you with the handset, and then they're legally bound to
> unlock it for you. To do so earlier requires buying yourself out of the
> contract early.

Except that Orange want this in addition to the 1 year contract. It is not so bad for me because my company have a deal with Orange which means monthly rental is only £3. But is it was an airtime contract at £25 a month it would be obscene.

> Whatever people feel about mobile phone operators, buying a  brand new
> phone for a tenner or similar on contract, then immediately unlocking it
> and using it on another network (usually pay as you go) is a case of
> screwing the phone company out of the cost of the handset. It's not like
> DVD region codes, which are a completely unjustified trade restriction.

Yeah, but I am only doing this until I have completed my 1 year fixed price deal with another operator. In 2 months time I will be using only Orange. Admittedly I only got the phone now because the one I got originally is next to useless and I wanted the handset now. Orange have been locking their phones from day 1, its nothing to do with pay as you go but a restrictive practice. They still change 12 months line rental when you have fulfilled your minimum contract.

Simon

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this message in error please delete it and notify us. If this message was misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk