[Gllug] [OT] Unlocking Mobile Phone

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 12:18:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:07 +0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Yeah, but I am only doing this until I have completed my 1 year fixed
> price deal with another operator. In 2 months time I will be using
> only Orange. Admittedly I only got the phone now because the one I got
> originally is next to useless and I wanted the handset now. Orange
> have been locking their phones from day 1, its nothing to do with pay
> as you go but a restrictive practice. They still change 12 months line
> rental when you have fulfilled your minimum contract.

Actually a few years ago when I'd finished my 12 month contract with
Orange they charged me £35 to unlock it.  I then used it with a BT Genie
SIM (which I still use, although they're now O2) until the phone died a
few months ago.  The way I see it, I've saved so much money moving to a
Web SIM-only deal with £10/month line rental that the £35 to unlock the
phone is insignificant.

Cheers,

Richard.

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E