[Gllug] Simple blog software for noobs

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 15:17:16 UTC 2004

On Friday 24 Dec 2004 14:35, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I use blosxom for my personal blog.  I love it because it's free,
> simple, extensible, one Perl script and uses the filesystem as its
> database.
>
> My partner has just expressed interest in having her own blog.  Problem
> is, blosxom requires a little more tech savvy than she could be bothered
> getting.  She'd need to learn how to use a text editor, write HTML blah
> blah blah.
>
> So I've looked into some of the blosxom plugins for doing stuff.  There
> seems to be some that will allow you to create a blog entry from a web
> page.  Fine.  However the HTML issue seems a little more intractable.
> There are a few wiki-ish plugins, but none of them seem to work (the
> kwiki one has a syntax error in the "use" statement, for starters, and
> seems to do nothing when that is corrected) or require large amounts of
> other software (python?!?!?).
>
> So can anyone suggest a blogging system that shares the simplicity of
> blosxom but also allows for non-HTML typed data entry via a web browser?
> Perl preferred.

I use 'nanoblogger' for my 'A taste of Linux' site, and it can be found at
http://nanoblogger.sourceforge.net/. Once you've got it set up, its quite
easy to use from a konsole as './nb -a' and it then opens up [in my case] a
kedit window where I compose my blog. But, I upload it using gFTP, but that's
my choice as nanoblogger can be used to upload it too.

For my 'efever' site I use 'PyQLogger' which can be found at
http://pyqlogger.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, but this is for a
http://www.blogger.com/ account [which are free anyway].

Hope these ideas/programs are useful to you both?

Merry Christmas
Sharon.
--
 15:10:49 up 8 days,  6:27,  1 user,  load average: 1.25, 1.20, 1.32
A taste of linux http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/efever/index.html