[Gllug] Re: backup

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sat Dec 4 11:00:04 UTC 2004

From:  Tim Clarke  SEACON GROUP LTD, Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, da11 9BD
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000    Web:  www.seacon.co.uk

re the problen with the DLT 'crapping out'.

I don't know whether this is at all relevant,  but I had a vaguely similar
problem on a Unix box with an H-P DAT tape.  The problem was solved  by
reducing the transfer-rate for that particular device within the SCSI adapter-
card bios setup.   Also, anotehr problem might be a time-out on tghe SCSI bus.
If I recollect correctly, the adapter bios has a setting for the ammount of time
it waits for a command completion.  On tapes etc, where a certain amount of time
is required to rewind/reverse or whatever the tape at certain points in the
write cycle, too short a scsi timeout will cause the backup procedure to fail.

Of course, this may be a total red herring,  but possibly worth while checking

regards

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk