[Gllug] RE: Dell servers

Mark Green Mark at k2workflow.com
Tue Dec 14 12:41:59 UTC 2004

On
> Behalf Of Andrew Farnsworth
> Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 12:03 PM
> To: Greater London Linux Users Group

Mine
> > was
> > > via the Web Site.
> > >
> > > Andrew Farnsworth
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > I placed the order on the site, Shall a couple more of us send an
email
> > along to the Register? Just to show the point of how many of us were
> > mislead.
>
> Not a bad idea, here is my email so you have an Idea of what I have
said.

> --
> To: press.releases at theregister.co.uk; tony.smith at theregister.co.uk
>
> Last week Dell published an offer for a Dell 1600SC IDE server for 99
GBP
> plus Shipping and VAT.  It was so popular that approximately 1400
orders
> were placed in one day.  Calling Dell today resulted in being told
that
> the
> orders had been cancelled by Dell and that everyone ordering the
special
> would not be able to purchase for that price.  Many people in the
Greater
> London Linux Users Group ordered these as well as several in the
Edinburgh
> Linux Users Group and are not happy that their orders, which were
taken
> online and via the telephone, will not be honoured by Dell.  I suspect
> that
> many more people, like me, will not be having such a Merry Christmas
after
> all.  Thank you very much Dell.
>
> Andrew Farnsworth
> --
>
> Andrew Farnsworth
>
> --

I received my IR number from Dell at 1:22 mid day of 9/12/2004.

And have shoot of a little email to the Register.

Last week a number of us placed an order on an offer that appeared on
the Dell web site, advertising 99GBP plus handling and shipping for a
1600SC IDE server. This offer was valid until the 15th or when stocks
ran out, and limited to 2 servers per an order. Orders were placed and
we received emails from Dell giving us our internet receipt numbers.
Unfortunately after a few days of our internet receipt numbers not
working we got impatient and so rang Dell. The reply on this was that
there was a pricing error and that all the orders made have been
cancelled, although some people are being told that there is no problem
and they should receive there confirmation soon. No one at Dell seems to
know what's going on, and after handing over card details and receiving
official Dell emails with no true answer to what is going on; our
confidence in Dells online ordering system is very rocky.

We all seem to have been left in the dark by Dell, with out even an
email to say sorry there was an error and the orders have been
cancelled, and that the card details that I provided will not be charged
to.

I know that there are a number of people in the same position as me but
we seem to all be getting mixed answers from Dell.

Mark Green

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk