[Gllug] Recommended distro

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Dec 14 14:38:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 11:42 +0000, Christian Smith wrote:

> As the SUN desktops have approached PCs in price (starting with the
> Ultra5/10) I don't think they've been particularly impressive. Problems
> with the HD (really cheap IDE disks) seem to be the main problem.
> Anecdotally, I'm not aware of a sun server dieing at our place (not a
> massive sample size, mind) yet we've had several PC based servers die. And
> the HP boxes would take an earthquake to kill them.
>

> Of course, I could just be talking out of my arse, I'm a developer and not
> a sys-admin, after all. But from what I've seen, I'd rather admin
> otherwise identical SUN boxes than PC boxes any day.

Sun now make Opteron servers, two and four processor boxes.
Having had to lift some out of racks recently I can confirm their
engineering - the 4-way boxes are pretty beefy.
They've got lights-out management cards etc.

We're involved in putting in some big Sun Linux clusters over the next
few weeks, consisting of V20Z and V40Z

The one at the University of Nottingham will be the second biggest
academic cluster in Europe.
http://www.streamline-computing.com/news_5.shtml#Nottingham

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk