[Gllug] OT: recommend place to buy 17" tft monitor

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 09:20:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:07:40PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, will at hellacool.co.uk moaned:
> >> Yes: that was the initial symptom; the lower-left corner shaded green
> >> and red. A degauss fixed it.
> >
> > About 18 months ago my work recieved about 4 iilama 19 inch monitors
> > and all had some degree of the symptoms mentioned.  Replacement
> > monitors had the same problem.  No cure was ever found.
>
> Well, Iiyama seem to know about it, because they replaced my monitor
> under warranty very fast.
>
> You'd think they'd have got rid of a fault like that, but perhaps
> the extreme price pressure on 17--21" CRTs right now makes it cheaper
> for them not to fix whatever the problem is.

Perhaps it was just a "bad batch" would probably save them money to
build up a big pile of faulty monitors in the .uk and ship them off to
China and have them fixed there given how cheap sea freight is and wages
for a Chinese tech compared to paying a British tech wages.

FWIW, I bought a Iiyama vmpro454 19" crt a few years back at 60% of list
price from dabs "B-Grade" stock, I found the complaints forms from the
person they had sold it to prior to me in the bottom of the box. They
had complained about "wavy lines when using excel" it took me about 10
seconds to adjust the Moire and convergance settings to get a perfect
picture. This used to be a common problem in a previous ork-place where
we only gave people Iiyama monitors but the default settings were *so*
bad that they made the monitors look awful, but 30 seconds spent
adjusting the things would make them look absolutely perfect.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk