[Gllug] Recommended distro

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Dec 15 13:40:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:56:25PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Nix asked where on earth do you get motherbords *without* north/southbridge
> chips.
>
> I think you misread what I wrote;
> I said it seems difficult to get mobos with n/s-bridge chips that SUPPORT ECC
>
> Unless I am misreading the tech specs of most mobos, the chips in them do NOT
> support ECC, only bog-standard DDR

All Via chipsets that support Amd Athlon support ECC and all of their
chipsets for P4 support ECC, the memory controller on Athlon 64 is built
into the cpu AIUI and it supports ECC memory. Lots on Intel chipsets
support ECC Ram even including older chipsets like the LX and BX
although it does appear that some of the newer (lower end and cheaper)
Intel chipsets don't support ECC which is just plain bonkers. I think
every motherboard I have owned in 7 years of being a PC owner has
supported ECC Ram (not that I have ever been able to afford ECC Ram).

Like Nix said I would think it was difficult to get a motherboard that
doesn't support ECC unless it is very bottom of the range, and I don't
buy kit from that far down the line as it usually causes more problems
than the cost savings.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem